Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Fructose Intolerance

I found out I was fructose intolerant in 2nd grade. Everday after lunch I went to the school nurse with headaches and stomach cramps. Also when I got home from school I was depressed and tired. My symptons were always after lunch so we thought it was food related. My mom made me a doctors appointment.

The doctor said I had to have a blood test for gluten intolerance and a hydrogen test (breath test) for fructose intolerance. So I had to go on a chicken and rice diet 48 hours before the hydrogen test. I couldn't eat the morning of the test. On the way to the doctor's office I saw a Mc Donalds and there was a poster of a double cheeseburger and I was so hungry! It wasn't fair! When we got there I had to drink a nasty drink. After that I had to blow into a bag. I think they smelled it...

Turns out I was fructose AND lactose intolerant. The gluten test was unreadable. The doctor put me on the low FODMAP elimination diet to see what foods harmed me. FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols. Wow! That was hard to type. These names represent types of sugars or carbs found in foods that may harm people with sensitivities.

So now we know what foods are BAD and that I can't have a lot of wheat or else I get a headache. I also CAN'T have high fructose corn syrup and too much sugar. We live and cook by the rules. HEALTHY!

2 comments:

  1. You are so strong! I know how hard it must be to give up so yummy foods, but it shows how amazing you are. I am very proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete